I’ve never been a fan of making a list of resolutions at the end of the year. Why? Because I hardly ever follow through with them, so it just seems like a waste of time. But this year I have decided to look at it in a different light.
With the New Year ringing in, I’m sure that many people are busy making their traditional New Years’ Resolution list which consist of outrageous goals that they want to reach by the end of the upcoming year. While it is natural for us all to have goals and for us to want to continuously improve ourselves, we have to make sure that the goals we set are reachable, or we will do nothing but set ourselves up for failure.
In my opinion, we should reflect on the past year, and who we have become before deciding where we should go with the new year.
Let’s face it… It’s December 30… It’s been a long year, we are nothing shy of exhausted, and that makes it hard to think clearly about what we want in life!
Most of you are ready for it to be over so that you can start fresh with a new calendar… a blank slate.
Tonight I’m proposing that you join me in making a new tradition. Before you begin to make your resolution list, why not make a list of all of the positive things that happened in this past year of 2016, as well as a few facts that make you… YOU. Not sure where to start? Here is my list below of 5 of the many blessings we had this year, maybe it will help you get started:
- I was blessed to have a wonderful, healthy, pregnancy with no complications.
- She was born safely at a perfect 6lb 12oz on August 15th.
- Bradley was offered a new job at a local chemical plant that made it possible for me to stay home with our daughter.
- We got a new family car!
- We were able to spend a lot of time with our family, making memories.
After you have written down several positive things about the next year think about all of the things that define you. You can’t decide where you want to go, until you have discovered who you are, and where you at at.
What makes you tick?
Go ahead, jot down at least 5 facts that sum you up. Here are 5 things about me:
- I am a daughter, a mom, a wife, a sister, a sister-in-law, an aunt, a blogger, a crafter, a dreamer, a doer, and a planner
- Cleaning is my arch enemy… somehow I can’t ever keep up with it. If you read several of my post, you will find that I almost always complain about having a messy house. I’ve realized that it is something I will probably always struggle with.
- I am an impulse shopper… I have an addiction to shopping online. It’s too stinkin’ easy and convenient. Prime is my favorite! I’m one of those people very unhappy that Amazon will now be charging tax for items shipped to my state of Louisiana…
- I have a strong love (and maybe a slight obsession) for anything Gilmore Girls and I will always be TEAM JESS & LUKE! I also desire to have the same love for coffee that Lorelai and Rory have (once I’m finished with breastfeeding of course).
- I am very headstrong (some call me stubborn) but I hate conflict. I am that person that always has a great comeback (in my mind) but doesn’t always say it in an effort to keep the peace. My poor husband usually gets an earful about the things that I wanted to say to someone!
And now…. GOALS! As I mentioned earlier, make sure that the goals you set are reachable. If you’re like me, you’re not a fan of being an underachiever. You have to set goals that are realistic.No you’re not going to get famous overnight, just like you won’t become a body-builder overnight. Shock, I know.
So instead of setting goals that if achieved will completely transform you, set smaller goals that you feel confident that you can reach. The goals that you set for the new year, shouldn’t be too hard to achieve and should leave you feeling better about yourself once you meet them.
Goals may seem small when you make your list, but they will seem huge when you accomplish them!
So what are some of your goals that you want to set for yourself in the New Year? Do you want to find a better paying job? Maybe you want to eat healthier. Or you could take that next step and start your own business. Who knows, you could just want to find your soul mate (if only that were a simple task)! Each of us are different and unique in so many ways, and we will all have our own personal goals to reach.
I am so excited to share my goals for 2017 with you. And I can’t wait to accomplish them!
- Grow my blog to reach 50 (I’m hopeful for 100) followers! I can’t wait to see my blog take off and to accumulate more and more subscribers! (So if you haven’t subscribed already, click the button on the sidebar and follow me! I promise I won’t blow up your email, you’ll only be notified when I have a new post to share).
- Continue to get better at this mom and wife thing each day! I want to be the best I can be for my sweet princess, while rocking the wifey role.
- Write the draft of my first book! I have always wanted to write a book and this year I am going to set my mind to it (remember that stubbornness I was talking about? It just might come in handy).
- Further my relationship with Jesus. Without him, I don’t have much of a future. I’m thankful for everything he has blessed my family with and I feel like I need to dive deeper into His Word in order for my roles as mother and wife to blossom!
- Get better at putting money away for savings! I’m the world’s worst at making a budget that is never followed. Somehow all that “extra” money that is supposed to enter our savings account gets spent on EXTRA stuff. Ain’t happenin’ this year if I can help it!
Don’t be shy! Post a fact about yourself or one of your goals for the New Year below in the comments!